The CSM Senior Orchestra is a 65-piece orchestra made up of part-time students across the Department of Orchestral Studies who have achieved a Grade 5 standard or higher on their instrument. The orchestra focuses mainly on repertoire from the classical and early romantic eras, performing symphonic works as well as concertos at its annual concerts.
In recent years, performances have included:
- Walter Leigh’s Concerto for Harpsichord and String Orchestra (May 2016)
- Beethoven’s Symphony No. 1 (December 2016)
- Vivaldi’s Concerto in A minor for Two Violins (May 2017)
- Schubert’s Symphony No. 1 (December 2017)
- Berlioz’s Les Nuits d’Été featuring guest soprano Mary Hegarty (May 2018)
- Bizet's Symphony in C (May 2019)
The orchestra rehearses in the Curtis Auditorium on Tuesdays from 17:15 to 18:30 and is conducted by Tom Doyle.
Enquiries about Senior Orchestra can be made to Joan Scannell, Head of Orchestral Studies.