Now in its fifth year, the TY Symphony Orchestra offers transition year students an opportunity to experience professional life as an orchestral musician.
Under the direction of renowned conductors, students will participate in daily group rehearsals, receive mentoring from experienced orchestral professionals, and present a public performance on the final day.
Past programmes have included orchestral standards such as:
- Beethoven Symphony No. 5, movements I and II
- Mozart Overture to Don Giovanni
- Rossini Overture to La Cenerentola
- Sibelius Finlandia
- Verdi Overture to La forza del destino
Who should apply?
Applications are welcomed from players of standard orchestral instruments who have some orchestral or band experience. Students should be comfortable reading music of at least Grade 5 standard. We are not fussy about exam results but enthusiasm and a willingness to learn and improve are vital!
When and where?
Tuesday 6 - Friday 9 February 2024 (four days), 09:30 - 15:00
MTU Cork School of Music, Union Quay, Cork
What should I include in the 'Personal Statement' section?
This is your opportunity to tell us about your experience and achievements as well as your career aspirations. Below are a few things you may wish to consider mentioning:
- How long have you been playing your instrument(s)?
- What grade did you last achieve?
- Are you a regular member of an orchestra, band or group?
- Have you won any awards or had other notable successes that you're proud of?
Your Personal Statement is the most important part of your application and will generally determine whether or not a placement offer is made. Take time to consider your answer and above all, make it compelling!
Is there a fee?
Following placement offers, a non-refundable fee of €80 must be paid online to secure your place (this is the full fee for this particular programme).