Union is an adult choir open to all performers who are interested in developing their vocal skills and musicianship through legit and contemporary musical theatre repertoire. The group meets once a week in the School of Music and prepares ensemble numbers for an informal concert at the end of each semester.
- When and where do you meet?
On Tuesday evenings, 19:30 - 21:00, during term time (approximately 13 weeks per semester), in CIT Cork School of Music.
- What do you sing?
Our repertoire is wide and varied, everything from light operetta and Rodgers and Hammerstein right through to Sondheim and newly-written pieces from Broadway and the West End. Check out our past concert programmes for more information: Winter 2019, Spring 2019, Winter 2018.
- How many members are in the group?
We currently have about 30 singers, representing all ages and experiences.
- I am not a CIT student / graduate. Can I join?
Absolutely! Membership is open to all.
- Is there an audition?
There is no formal audition; we welcome all singers irrespective of their experience. If you are unsure of your voice type (soprano, alto, tenor, bass, etc.), we can easily run through a few easy warmup exercises to determine where your voice lies.
- Is there a cost?
Yes, currently €180 per term (€360 per year), payable through the General Office. If you're joining for the first time, you're more than welcome to try-out for a week or two before committing.
- Do I need to bring anything with me?
Just a passion for musical theatre and singing! All music will be provided, supplemented by line tracks available via Dropbox.
- I haven't sung in a long time / I haven't sung in a choir before / I'm not a professional singer / I don't have the strongest voice / I only sing in the shower / I can't read music ... Can I join?
Yes, the choir's ethos is focused on improving musicianship and vocal technique, and we welcome singers of all experience backgrounds.
- I just found out about the choir and have missed the start of term! Can I still join?
- Why are you called 'Union'?
Asides from being a union of people, there’s the union of music and drama, and the fact that CIT Cork School of Music is built on Union Quay!
- How do I join? / I have another question. Who can I talk to?
Just send an email to the choir's director, Thomas.Doyle@cit.ie.