Union is an adult choir open to all performers who are interested in developing their vocal skills and musicianship through legit and contemporary musical theatre repertoire. The choir is currently on summer recess and will resume in September.
- When and where do you meet?
We rehearse on Monday evenings, 18:30 - 20:00, in the city centre. Remote participation via Zoom is also facilitated for those unable to attend in-person.
- What do you sing?
Our repertoire is wide and varied, everything from light operetta and Rodgers and Hammerstein right through to Sondheim and newly-written pieces from Broadway and the West End. Check out our past concert programmes for more information: Winter 2019, Spring 2019, Winter 2018.
- How many members are in the group?
We currently have over 30 singers signed up, representing all ages, voices and experiences.
- I am not an MTU student or graduate. Can I still join?
Absolutely! Membership is open to all.
- Is there an audition?
There is no formal audition; we welcome all singers irrespective of their experience. If you are unsure of your voice type (soprano, alto, tenor, bass, etc.), we can easily run through a few easy warmup exercises to determine where your voice lies.
- Is there a cost?
The cost for rehearsals is currently €120 per term (€240 per year), payable through the General Office at MTU Cork School of Music. If you're joining for the first time, you're more than welcome to try-out for a week or two before committing.
- Do I need to bring anything with me?
Just a passion for musical theatre and singing! All sheet music will be provided, supplemented by line tracks available via Dropbox.
- I haven't sung in a long time / I haven't sung in a choir before / I'm not a professional singer / I don't have the strongest voice / I only sing in the shower / I can't read music ... Can I join?
Yes, the choir's ethos is focused on improving musicianship and vocal technique, and we welcome singers of all experience backgrounds.
- I just found out about the choir and have missed the start of term! Can I still join?
Yes, absolutely! - do get in touch.
- Why are you called 'Union'?
Asides from being a union of people, there’s the union of music and drama, and the fact that MTU Cork School of Music is built on Union Quay!
- How do I join? / I have another question. Who can I talk to?
Just send an email to the choir's director, Thomas.Doyle@mtu.ie.